Joyce Kilmer Park, bounded by the Grand Concourse and Walton Avenue on the east and west, and 164th and 161st Streets on the north and south, was called Concourse Plaza from 1902 until the Board of Aldermen renamed it for Kilmer in 1926, two years after it was acquired by Parks. It was completely redesigned in 1936, at which time its two monuments, the Louis J. Heintz statue and the Lorelei fountain, were placed in their present locations. The Heintz statue by Pierre Fietu was dedicated in 1909 in honor of the Bronx’s first commissioner of street improvements, who pioneered the construction of the Grand Concourse.
Loading contexts...